Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Relaxing Day in Portsmouth NH

Popovers On The Square


I love summers in New England for many reasons: the warm weather, outdoor patios, beautiful beaches and the best part, short summer day trips. If you have never been to Portsmouth NH, now is the best time to go and with its close proximity to Boston you do not even have to pay for a hotel. I spent the day in Portsmouth NH yesterday and had an amazing time. I hadn’t been to Portsmouth in a while, I forgot just how beautiful this place really is.

My day in Portsmouth started when my fiancé and I went to Popovers on the Square for coffee. Popovers has been opened for about two years now and serves coffees, teas, soups, salads, sandwiches, desserts (lots of it), wines, beers, and cocktails in a sophisticated café like setting.





The best part of Popovers is the outdoor patio and I was surprised that it wasn’t too crowded for a summer Saturday afternoon. Popover is located right on the cobble streets of Market Square, making it a great place to relax over a cup of coffee and enjoy the views of the surrounding boutiques. Alcohol however is prohibited outside on the patio.

We both ordered the Frozen Cappuccino which was delicious. It is a sweet, refreshing frozen drink similar to a frappe at Starbucks, but maybe a bit more rich and thick. It was a perfect summer treat. We came here after lunch so we were too full to try any of the desserts or lunch items but I noticed they had a couple different vegetarian items such as the Portobello & Mozzarella Panini, Roasted Vegetable Wrap, and the House Salad in a Popover all for ($8.95). I can’t wait to come back and try their lunch menu!

Popovers on the Square
8 Congress St
Porstmouth NH

http://www.popoversonthesquare.com/

No comments: