Friday, September 5, 2008

Yoma


Have you ever been to a restaurant and enjoyed it so much that you could not wait to go back? I went to Yoma in Allston about a month ago and loved my meal and finally went back yesterday and it was just as good as I had remembered. Yoma is a Burmese restaurant and is the only restaurant that I have been to that has a separate vegetarian menu. In addition to having a vegetarian menu, all of their vegetarian dishes are cooked on a separate pan. Needless to say I was ecstatic when the owner had mentioned this to me.

But the good news does not end here. The food at Yoma is actually very tasty. Burmese food is cross between, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese and Chinese food, in my opinion it is most similar to Tibetan food. For an appetizer I had the OhnNoteKhotSwe, ($6.75) a coconut milk tofu soup with wheat flour noodles, shredded shallots, scallions and crispy fried rice noodles on top. This dish tasted like a mild yellow curry soup with thick noodles, it was delicious! For an appetizer this dish is enough for two people.

For a main entrée, I had the AaThotSone ($8.95), a noodle dish with three different types of noodles. The dish is made with vermicelli, somen and wheat flour noodles with shredded cabbage, fried tofu, steam bean sprout, potato, grounded peanut, roasted chili flakes, scallions and crispy noodles on top. This dish is very tasty as I have never had anything quite like it. The noodles are soft and tender, but it is mixed with grounded peanuts and crispy rice noodles that give it a nice crunchy taste. The potatoes and cucumbers add a nice touch, something I have never seen before in a noodle dish. Even though I asked the dish to be made mild to medium it was still a bit spicy for my liking. The sweet palm juice candy that they bring out with your bill is yum! It reminded me of sugar cane juice that I used to have as a kid when I visited India.

The only con of my meal, unlike my last visit, is the dish was actually a bit cold. I had to ask the server to warm it up which she gladly did. My friend dined with me said she has been coming to Yoma for a while and she thought the portion sizes had gotten a lot bigger.



The ambiance is simple it is a quite cozy restaurant with a casual feel. Yoma’s strength may not be its ambiance but its food. Yoma is a great place to get takeout if you live in the area. The service is very friendly and depending on the server, they will gladly explain any dish to you. I will keep going back to Yoma for their unique tasty food at inexpensive prices.


Yoma (Burmese) on Urbanspoon

No comments: